Murphy Burnatowski, a former KW Viper, has just joined the list of Vipers who have become professional basketball players. He just signed to play for Slask, a club in Wroclaw, Poland. They play in Poland's Division 1.
Murphy was recently named Colgate University (D1 in New York state) Athlete of the Year and had 4 good workouts with the Toronto Raptors.
He has also been a member of Canada's National teams including the Senior Men.
3-on-3 Kumar Classic 2014
KW Vipers present: 1st Annual 3-on-3 Kumar Classic
• Date: Saturday, June 21st, 2014
• Location: Huron Heights Secondary School (1825 Strasburg Rd, Kitchener, ON)
• Round Robin Format - Guaranteed 3 games o Team Size: 3 or 4
o 16 points, win by two, or 20 minutes
o Call your own fouls
• 3 Point Shootout Challenge - Two Divisions (Elementary and High School)
• Cost per team: $50.00
• Registration Deadline – Friday, June 13th, 2014
Proceeds will go to support the Kumar Family and the Brain Tumor Foundation of Canada
Rules and Eligibility
• Any elementary and high school students 19 and under are eligible
• Divisions are decided by tournament staff based on such factors as age, height, playing ability and experience. Staff reserve the right to decline team admission depending on teams registered
• Full tournament rules will be emailed out to each team’s captain
3 Point Shootout Challenge
• All registered team members are eligible for one free qualifying attempt
• Qualifying Round o 3 shots from 5 spots Players can attempt to qualify as many times as they like for $2
•Shootout Challenge o Top 8 scorers from Qualifying Round will move onto Preliminary Round
o Top 3 from Preliminary Round will move onto Championship Round
Teams will not be required to be at the gyms the entire time, scheduling will be done to alleviate long wait times. Teams having certain scheduling needs can inform the Tournament Organizers and accommodations will be made where possible.
Sponsorship and donations are welcome.
Any inquiries please contact:
Brad Matsugu – firstname.lastname@example.org
It is with a very heavy heart that we must bid farewell to a very special boy and KW Viper Bantam basketball player.
Jayant (Jay) Kumar passed away on Friday, May 9, 2014 after a very brief struggle with a very aggressive, rare brain tumour known as DIPG. He was 13.
As a member of the KW Vipers throughout his short career (Novice - Bantam), he was the team's leader and top player. In the spring/summer of 2013, he was part of the OBA's T.I.D.P. for the Tri-County region and was selected to represent us as one of the top 10 players in the area.
His uncle writes ... "With a very heavy heart we must bid farewell to a very special boy. With his infectious smile and contagious laugh he brought so much joy to everyone he met. A perfect son, a precious grandson, an awesome brother, an amazing nephew, an incredible cousin, a loyal friend, a beautiful person, never could we have asked for any more. Always to be loved and never to be forgotten, we pray you are in a better place now. You will be in our hearts forever and we know you will watch over us. Until we meet again......"
He will be truly missed.
Donations can be made to BRAIN TUMOR FOUNDATION OF CANADA
KW Vipers will be honouring Jay in our future. The team will be hosting a Memorial 3 on 3 tournament on Saturday, June 21, 2014 at Huron Heights SS. More info on this will be available soon.
The KW Youth Basketball Association has entered into a 3 year partnership with Spalding Canada through their online registration partner SportSavvy. This partnership will benefit all parties and allow the YBA to continue to develop their programs while keeping participation fees as low as possible. As the OBA Club-of-the-Year for 2012, the YBA is striving to maintain this status.
For further information and reaction to this partnership, please click here.